In British English the phonetic symbol /ai/ corresponds to the vowel sound in words like "fly" and "time". It is called a Diphthong.
Some common words which practice the pronunciation of /ai/ include the following:
- with "i": bike - die - file - I - ice - lie - like - line - mine - nice - pie - pine - pint - price - quite - size - smile - tie - time - white - wine - write;
- with "ig": align - assign - sign;
- with "igh": bright - fight - fright - height - high - light - night - right - sigh - sight - slight - thigh - tight;
- with "y": cry - dry - dye - eye - fly - fry - my - rye - shy - sky - sty - try - type - why;
- others: buy;
- homophones: cite/site/sight - die/dye - high/hi - I/eye - knight/night - right/write - sighs/size - time/thyme - whine/wine - why/Y.