AD (728x90)

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Wise Wednesday Grammar: Figures of Speech (Antimetabole)

Share it Please





Figure of speech.



SCHEMES.









Antimetabole 


In rhetoricantimetabole (pron.: /æntɨməˈtæbəl/ an-ti-mə-tab-ə-lee) is the repetition of words in successive clauses, but in transposed grammatical order (e.g., "I know what I like, and I like what I know"). It is similar to chiasmus although chiasmus does not use repetition of the same words or phrases.



Examples 


  • "Eat to live, not live to eat." Attributed to Socrates
  • "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. KennedyInaugural Address, January 20, 1961.
  • "He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions." The Sphinx, Mystery Men (1999)
  • "You stood up for America, now America must stand up for you." Barack Obama - December 14, 2011.
  • "I go where I please, and I please where I go." - Attributed to Duke Nukem
  • "With my mind on my money and my money on my mind."- Attributed to Snoop Dogg in the song Gin & Juice
  • "In America, you can always find a party. In Soviet Russia, Party always finds you!" - Yakov Smirnoff
  • "If you fail to plan, plan to fail."
  • "The further I get from the things that I care about, the less I care about how much further away I get." - Robert Smith of The Cure ("Fear of Ghosts")
  • "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." - John Wooden

Etymology 

It is derived from the Greek ἀντιμεταβολή from ἀντί (antí), "against, opposite" and μεταβολή (metabolē), "turning about, change".









Written by

Native English Spain is dedicated to make learning English simple, fun and affordable for Spanish people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2013 NATIVE ENGLISH SPAIN. All rights resevered. Designed by GauravVish | Templateism