Your word for today is: boofy, adj.
boofy, adj.
Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈbuːfi/, U.S. /ˈbufi/, Austral. /ˈbufi/
Etymology: < boof- (in boofhead n.) + -y suffix1.
Austral. slang.
Usually of a man or boy: large or muscular, and somewhat unsophisticated or simple-minded. Also: typically or stereotypically male in behaviour or interests; ‘blokeish’.
1973 Sydney Morning Herald 18 Oct. (Look Suppl.) 3/4 Little Ted was a typical fat, cuddly, button-eyed bear. The playschool spokesman said ‘He had a nice boofy quality—not very bright, but well-meaning.’
1989 Sydney Morning Herald (Nexis) 20 Sept. 21 Bobby, you've got a lot of big boofy blokes there, why aren't you chalking up points?
1994 J. Birmingham He died with Felafel in his Hand (1997) vi. 147 That's how I ended up with these two gay guys. The problem was that I was a bit boofy, you know. I'm sort of blokey and I like to spend the weekends in front of the telly watching the footy.
2006 D. Koch Kochie's Guide to keeping it Real x 246 The tiny mining town of Beaconsfield, in north-western Tasmania, full of big boofy underground miners with marshmallow hearts.
2011 D. Graney 1001 Austral. Nights 116 Suddenly the carriage was full of boofy schoolboys all excitedly chesting and punching each other.
Wednesday, 29 August 2012
WORD FOR THE DAY
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment